Welcome to the Kidmin1124.com Volunteer Champion of the Week. There are thousands and thousands of volunteers who turn out each weekend and selflessly serve children in churches around the globe. They do not do what they do for recognition or accolades, but at Kidmin1124 we would like to shine a light on some of these volunteers as a way to say “Thank You!” So, each week we recognize one volunteer from the world of kidmin who goes above and beyond in their service to God’s kids. Our hope is that this segment will provide some well deserved recognition to individual volunteers. More importantly though, we have asked these Volunteer Champions to share some of their insights and experiences with us so that we can all learn from their wisdom.
This week’s recipients, based on a nomination from Dan Lee Archer (who was our first recipient), is (drum roll please):
Here is some background information on Daniel:
1. What is your full name?
Daniel Robert Shum
2. Where do you live (city, state, country)?
Sydney, NSW, Australia
3. What church do you attend and serve at (please feel free to include the web address of your church)?
4. How long have you been involved in children’s ministry?
About 15 years
5. What position(s) do you volunteer at in your children’s ministry?
Saturday night service leader for ‘The Ark’ 3-5 year olds
6. Tell us about your family (spouse, kids, etc.)
I’m single, but I get to see family a lot- Mum and Sister and Brother-in-Law, and I have a nephew and niece who are both adorable.
We also asked Daniel to share some thoughts and wisdom on some selected questions. Here is what he had to say:
As a child, I used to read a lot of Christian children’s books. My parents brought me to Church and to Sunday School and I learned a lot of Bible stories. I think this had a real impact on my spiritual development from an early age.
2. As a volunteer yourself, what advice would you give to a new or young children’s pastor who needs help learning to recruit or retain volunteers?
Prayer is good. Food is good too. Few things build a team as much as getting together with food, whether that be at church or outside church.
3. Have you ever struggled in communicating with parents of the children you teach? Do you have a best practice to offer?
I try to make eye contact with and greet every child and especially every parent. Parents really appreciate it when you talk to them about their child, it reassures them that you care and that you pay attention to their child.
4. What is the biggest challenge you think kids face today? How can children’s ministry meet that need?
I think the biggest challenge for them is to grow in faith in God. I think the children’s ministry can play a key role in partnering with parents to ‘Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it’
5. What do you do personally to achieve balance in your life?
I find having rest time very important. I like to listen to praise and worship and spend time with family. I find it really important to be able to be in church to press in during praise and worship and receive from the message, as well as serving.
To Children’s Pastors and Others who would like to nominate a volunteer for Kidmin1124 Volunteer Champion of the Week:
We need your help! We are looking for additional nominations for future Kidmin1124.com Volunteer Champion of Week recipients to keep this segment going. If you have a volunteer, or know of a volunteer, who really goes above and beyond, please e-mail their name, e-mail address and brief explanation of why you are nominating them (a sentence or so) to email@example.com. We need your help to make this series a success.
Prior Recipients of the Award:
Prior recipients of the Kidmin1124 Volunteer Champion the Week Award include:
- “Funny Man” Dan Lee-Archer [09/24/10]
- Steve Testerman [10/08/10]
- Pam Aikens [10/15/10]
- Kurtis Miller [10/22/10]
- Amy Kirby [10/29/10]
- Jennifer Longenecker [11/05/10]
- Jessica Lindsey [11/12/10]
- Julie Reising [11/26/10]
- John Langdon [12/03/10]
- Stuart Aldridge [01/14/11]
- Kathi Hand [01/21/11]
- Jenny Montgomery [01/28/11]
- Adam Farragut [02/04/11]
- Linda Martin [03/04/11]
- Amber Emmette [03/11/11]
- Joan Koon [03/18/11]
- Katie White [03/25/11]
- Chris Austell [04/01/11]