Making family time a priority is so important when you have a full time job and serve in children’s ministry. You have to be very intentional about making that time. I heard someone say once that they actually schedule family time on their calendar throughout the week and work everything else around that. You have to figure out what works best for you.
For me this means:
- Date nights with my husband. This could mean going out or staying in, but having that time for just us.
- Family days on the weekends. Again this could mean going out or staying in as long as we are together.
- Phone calls from work to say “I love you.” and connect even if only briefly.
- Minimal meetings in the evenings as well as phone time.
- Limiting time on the computer to later on the evening.
My husband and boys have to know that they are most important to me. It can’t just be the words but in action. They have to know that I will stop everything and give them all of my attention in the time we have together. After all, my family is my first ministry and I need to focus on that.