Thanksgiving is just around the corner and for the past couple weeks I’ve been posting about some of the things I’m thankful for . . . God’s Grace, my family and today I want to share another thing I’m thankful for . . . God’s Word! Stop and think about it for a minute. God loved us enough to give us His Word so we can know Him and love Him back! This is beyond amazing!
Last week Wayne Stocks shared one of his favorite verses . . . Deuteronomy 29:29
” 29 The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may follow all the words of this law.” (NIV)
“29 There are some things the Lord our God has kept secret, but there are some things he has let us know. These things belong to us and our children forever so that we will do everything in these teachings.” (NCV) ”
“29 The Lord our God keeps certain things hidden. But he makes other things known to us and our children forever. He does it so we can obey all of the words of this law.” (NIrV)
Here in America it can be easy . . . far too easy . . . for us to take God’s Word for granted and treat it in a casual way. How many of us have more than one Bible in our homes? More than one translation/version? I know I have several and on top of the printed Bibles in my home, on the computer I have access to God’s Word in different languages and translations! This isn’t the case everywhere in the world. There are places where they do not have even one Bible in their language. This is why I’m so thankful for ministries such as New Tribes Mission and The Seed Company.
So, what can we do to help the children in our ministries develop a deeper love and appreciation for God’s Word? Consider the following . . .
- Consider focusing on God’s Word for a month in your children’s ministry. As children arrive, collect their Bibles and set them aside. Then hand out sheets with John 3:16 printed in another language – – 16Ибо так возлюбил Бог мир, что отдал Сына Своего Единородного, дабы всякий верующий в Него, не погиб, но имел жизнь вечную. Ask children if they can read this to you – unless they know Russian, they will not be able to do so. Talk with them about how they would feel if they were not able to read and understand God’s Word. Show them the verse in English and ask them how they feel knowing they can read and understand God’s Word.
- Share this video clip with the children – and adults – in your church and then talk about how the Kimyal people celebrated receiving God’s Word. Ask the children how they feel about having God’s Word.
- Involve the children in projects to raise money to send to New Tribes or the Seed Company so children, families and adults who do not have Bibles in their own languages will be able to learn of God’s love and forgiveness in their own language! You could have children collect “pledges” for each verse they memorize, make Bible bookmarks and sell them to raise money or even have your children prepare a worship service with Bible verses and praise songs and then sell “tickets” to raise money for this project.
- Have children make bookmarks with their favorite Bible verses and then sell them and give the money to this project – you could print the verse in a different language on one side and then have the kids write it in English on the other side.
- Have the children make pictures showing people learning God’s Word, make your own “art gallery” and then have a “showing” where people can “bid” on the art work. Donate the money raised to this project.