“Christmas time is here Happiness and cheer Fun for all that children call Their favorite time of the year!”
Ah, yes . . . Christmas time is here and while children are likely to be focused on the gifts they hope to receive . . . as for many children it is their favorite time of year, I believe it is the ideal time to redirect their focus on giving to others! So . . . here are my Top 5 Reasons for Focusing Kids on Giving at Christmas . . .
- Jesus is our Example . . . He gave to us – John 15:13 “Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends.” (ESV)
- Jesus told us to give to others . . . when we give to others, we are choosing to obey Jesus – John 15:12 “‘This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.’” (ESV)
- Giving to others brings glory to God! – Matthew 5:16 “In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.” (ESV)
- It pleases God – Hebrews 13:16 “Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.” (ESV)
- It shows by what we do God’s love is in us! – I John 3:17 “But if anyone has the world’s goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God’s love abide in him?” (ESV)
- plan a new/gently used coats drive – have your kids collect new and gently used coats to give to those in your church and community who are in need of a warm coat! On your coat distribution day, have kids bake cookies to add with your gift of warm coats!
- if you have a family in need in your church, get a gift wish list from them and then have each class/small group in your church work together to get the items on the list. Plan a gift wrapping party and have the kids pray for the family who will receive their gifts – be prepared to keep the family’s name secret, but kids can serve others even if they do not know the exact names of the people who they are giving to.
- go on-line and look up Samaritan’s Purse Gift Catalog. Sit down with the children in your ministry and select a gift they are willing to work to earn the money for. Then send the money and spend time praying for the family who will receive their gift – and most importantly, for the people who will give them their gift and share the Good News of Jesus with them!